The situation concerning the Democratic Republic of the Congo
Thursday, 14 November 2013
The Security Council met this morning in its 7058th meeting, to discuss the situation concerning the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- What’s in blue: insights on the work of the Security Council on the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- Security Council Report: Monthly forecast, Democratic Republic of the Congo - May 2013
Photo: Security Council Meeting on the situation in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. 19 October 2012. UN Photo/Eskinder Debebe
Security Council - Sudan and South Sudan
The President drew attention to the text of a draft resolution contained in document S/2013/318, submitted by the Republic of Korea, Rwanda, Togo, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the United States of America.
The draft resolution received 15 votes in favour, none against and no abstentions and was adopted unanimously as resolution S/RES/2104 (2013).
UN Resources on Sudan & South Sudan
- Secretary-General reports
- Security Council resolutions
- Meeting records
- Letters from the SG to the Security Council
- UN Mission in Sudan (UNMIS)
- UN Mission in the Republic of South Sudan (UNMISS)
- United Nations Interim Security Force for Abyei
- What’s in Blue Insights on Sudan/South Sudan
*Photo - UN Peacekeepers on Patrol in Abyei (May 2011) UN Photo/Eskinder Debebe
New Report on Human Rights Violation in Kivu
Report of the UN Joint Human Rights Office on Human Rights Violations from 15 November to 2 December 2012
According to a new report by the United Nations Joint Human Rights Office in the Democratic republic of the Congo, serious violations of human rights and international humanitarian law were committed during November 2012 fighting.
The report details victim and witness accounts of mass rape, killings and arbitrary executions. Violations of Human Rights were perpetrated by Congolese Armed Forces (FARDC) and rebels of the Mouvement du 23 mars (M23).
This report highlights human rights violation between 15 November to 2 December 2012. The Joint Human Rights Office previously released several reports on human rights violations in the DRC :
Security Council meetings on the Middle East today
Wednesday, May 8th 2013
The Security Council is meeting this morning in its 6962nd meeting, for a meeting on the situation in Libya.
This afternoon, there is a closed consultation on the seventeenth semi-annual report of the Secretary-General to the Security Council on the implementation of Security Council resolution 1559 (2004), (S/2013/234) related to Lebanon.
- Reports of the Secretary-General (Libya)
- Resolutions/Decisions (Libya)
- Meeting Records (Libya)
- Semi-annual reports on the implementation of Security Council resolution 1559 (2004)
- What’s in blue: Insights on the Middle East
- Security Council Report: Libya
- Security Council Report: Lebanon
Photo: Security Council discusses situation in Libya. 03 May 2011. UN Photo/Paulo Filgueiras.
Progress report on peacebuilding in Liberia
A second progress report on peacebuilding in Liberia (PBC/7/LBR/1) has been issued today.
The present report, which reviews progress in the implementation of the
outcome document (PBC/6/LBR/2) and the priorities identified in it, covers the period from 1 August 2011 to 30 September 2012, and focuses on the main advancements and challenges that emerged during that period. Efforts to fulfill the commitments contained in the statement of mutual commitments on peacebuilding in Liberia (PBC/4/LBR/2) slowed during the presidential and legislative election process, and the subsequent formation of a new Government. However, during the first six months of 2012, there was a new focus in the efforts made by the Government of Liberia, in collaboration with civil society and the United Nations, to make consolidated progress in implementing the commitments.
Non UN Resources:
- Security Council Report: Liberia
- What’s in Blue: Insights on Peacebuilding
Photo: Justice and Peace Hub under Construction in Gbarnga, Liberia. 13 April 2012. UN Photo/Staton Winter.
Security Council Meeting on Peace and Security in Africa
Monday, 15 April 2013
The Security Council will have its 6946th meeting on peace and security in Africa this morning. They will discuss the letter dated 2 April 2013 from the Permanent Representative of Rwanda to the United Nations addressed to the Secretary-General (S/2013/204).
- Reports of the Secretary-General
- Security Council resolutions/draft resolutions
- Resolutions, Presidential Statements and Meeting Records
- Security Council - UN Documentation Research Guide
- What’s in Blue? Meeting on Prevention of Conflicts in Africa
- Security Council Report: Issues related to Africa
Photo: Eugène-Richard Gasana (centre), Permanent Representative of Rwanda to the United Nations and the President of the Security Council for the month of April.(2 April 2013, UN Photo/Eskinder Debebe).
CSW57 Resources Summary
The fifty-seventh session of the Commission on the Status of Women will take place at United Nations Headquarters in New York from 4 to 15 March 2013
Below are on-line resources that relate with the CSW57 event, which Compiled by DAG HAMMARSKJÖLD LIBRARY.
- UN Women
- CSW 57
- Side Events
- Beijing Follow Up
- The UN Secretary-General Database:
- Unite to End Violence Against Women
- Women Watch
- Global Coalition on Women and AIDS
- CEDAW: Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination Against Women
- World Health Oganization “Women’s Health”
- World Bank Group Action Plan: “Gender Equality as Smart Economics”
- UN Girls’ Education Initiative, “Girls Too! Education for All”
March 2013 “Heads Up” of UN Department of Public Information
In March 2013, there will be many campaigns and events happening here at United Nations Department of Public Information. Let’s take a look the agenda and schedule in advance and make yourself be prepared of what are going to happen .
MDGs and Post-2015 Development Agenda
- MY World global survey: “Mark a difference”
The Millennium Campaign, with UNDP and DPI’s assistance, is sharing the communications toolkit for the MY World global survey on post-2015 development priorities, including promotional materials for MY World’s “Mark a Difference” campaign.
- Post-2015 High-level Panel meeting in Bali
The Secretary-General’s High-level Panel on post-2015 will meet in Bali from 25 to 27 March, with a focus on partnerships and financing. Updates, including the communiqué from the recent HLP meeting in Monrovia, are available on the Panel website: http://www.post2015hlp.org and the HLP twitter account: @2015ON.
- World We Want and post-2015 consultations
A website redesign and new logo for the World We Want platform (http://www.worldwewant2015.org) will be live in early March. The updates will make it easier to follow and participate in global and national consultations on post-2015. UNICs are encouraged to work with the relevant focal points in their Country Teams on press releases and event promotion of the post-2015 consultations.
- Promoting MDG successes
Discussion is under way on communications strategy and messaging for the MDGs, leading up to the General Assembly Special Event on MDGs, expected to take place during the high-level week in September.
- MDGs and World Water Day
Among other proposals, DPI plans to use relevant international days as pulse moments for promoting MDG successes through social media. To start, World Water Day (22 March) will be used for promoting MDG successes on boosting access to water, and to highlight the challenges remaining, especially on sanitation.
- Launch of Annual Report of the International Narcotic Control Board (INCB) (5 March 2013)
- International Women’s Day (8 March)
More information package will be available on the website: http://www.unwomen.org/.
- Launch of the 2013 Human Development Report (14 March)
More information is available here: http://hdr.undp.org/en/
- Human Rights Council (25 February - 22 March, Geneva)
For more information: http://www.ohchr.org/EN/HRBodies/HRC/Pages/HRCIndex.aspx.
- International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination (21 March)
A social media campaign using #FightRacism on Twitter will promote the “Let’s Fight Racism” website (http://www.un.org/en/letsfightracism) in six languages, the Durban Declaration and Programme of Action, and possibly a Q&A with Mutuma Ruteere (Kenya), the UN Special Rapporteur on Racism.
- World Water Day (22 March)
World Water Day 2013 website: http://www.unwater.org/watercooperation2013/
International Year of Water Cooperation website: http://www.unwater.org/watercooperation2013/
- World Meteorological Day (23 March)
A brochure can be found at http://www.wmo.int/pages/publications/showcase/documents/WMD_2013_brochure_EN_final.pdf
- World TB Day (24 March)
- International Day of Remembrance of the Victims of Slavery and the Transatlantic Slave Trade (25 March)
- Annual Commemoration of the Rwanda Genocide (7 April)
Website: www.un.org/en/preventgenocide/rwanda. Contact: email@example.com
- UN Forum on Forests (8-19 April, Istanbul)
Forest Hero Award: http://www.un.org/esa/forests/forest-heroes/index.html
Short Film Contest: http://www.un.org/esa/forests/film/index.html
Photo Contest: http://www.un.org/esa/forests/photo-contest/index.html
Deadline for entries is 22 February.
Election of five non-permanent members of the Security Council
Thursday, 18 October
The General Assembly is meeting this morning hold elections, by secret ballot, for five non-permanent Council seats for the 2013-2014 term.These include one seat for the African Group, currently held by South Africa; one seat for the Asia-Pacific Group, currently held by India; one seat for the Group of Latin American and Caribbean States (GRULAC), currently held by Colombia; and two seats for the Western European and Others Group (WEOG), currently held by Germany and Portugal.
A list of meeting records from 1946- Symbols only
Meeting Records on the election of members to the Security Council
Resolutions/Decisions on the election of members to the Security Council
Non UN Resources
What’s in Blue: Security Council Elections 2012
Security Council Report: Security Council Elections 2012
Photo: General Assembly Elects Five Non-Permanent Members of Security Council, 2009. UN Photo/Paulo Filgueiras.
Security Council closed meeting on children and armed conflict
Friday, 5 October 2012
The Security Council Working Group on Children and Armed Conflict is holding a closed meeting this afternoon.
The current report on the activities of the Security Council Working Group on Children and Armed Conflict was established pursuant to resolution 1612 (2005) and covers the period 1 July 2011 to 30 June 2012.
- Security Council meetings
- General Assembly meetings
- Reports of the Secretary General
- Committee on the Rights of the Child meetings
- Committee on the Rights of the Child Reports
- Children and Armed Conflict’s website
Non UN Resources:
* Photo: UN Photo/Rick Bajornas. Security Council Discusses Children and Armed Conflict, 12 July 2011 Photo # 479288.
Security Council meeting on Mali
Thursday, 4 October 2012
The Security Council is meeting this afternoon at 15:00 in a closed consultation meeting on Mali.
Reports and Letters on the situation in Mali
Resolutions including drafts) on the situation in Mali
Non UN Resources:
*Photo - Security Council Considers Situation in Mali (August 2012) UN Photo/Eskinder Debebe
Security Council meeting on Haiti
Friday, 12 October 2012
The President drew attention to the text of a draft resolution contained in document S/2012/743 , submitted by Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, France, Guatemala, Paraguay, Peru, Spain, the United States of America and Uruguay.
The Council proceeded to vote on the draft resolution (S/2012/743) before it.
Decision: The draft resolution (S/2012 743 / ) received 15 votes in favour, none against and no abstentions, and was adopted unanimously as resolution 2070 (2012).
October 3rd, 2012
The present report covers major developments since the issuance of the previous report of 29 February 2012 (S/2012/128).
- Reports of the Secretary-General on the United Nations Stabilization Mission
- Meeting Records
- Presidential Statements
- MINUSTAH Website
Photo Source: UN Mission in Haiti Marks Annual Peacekeeper Day
Port-au-Prince, Haiti, Photo # 515564, Logan Abassi/UN Photo.
African Union-United Nations Hybrid Operation in Darfur (UNAMID)
Today the Security Council meets to discuss the Secretary General’s report on the African Union-United Nations Hybrid Operation in Darfur (UNAMID). The present report (S/2012/548) is submitted pursuant to paragraph 13 of Security Council resolution 2003 (2011).
- Secretary General’s reports
- Plenary meeting records
- Advisory Committee on administrative and Budgetary Questions - reports
- 5th Committee reports
- 5th Committee meeting records
Non UN resources
Photo: UN Photo Library, Photo # 480283 by El Fasher, Sudan. UNAMID Observes Nelson Mandela International Day.