Security Council briefing by the OSCE
Tuesday, May 7th 2013
The Security Council is meeting this afternoon in its 6961st meeting, for a briefing by the Chairperson-in-Office of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE).
- Reports of the Secretary-General on Cooperation between the United Nations and regional and other organizations
- Resolutions/Decisions (OSCE)
- Meeting Records (OSCE)
- What’s in blue: article on today’s briefing
Photo: Security Council discusses UN Cooperation with Regional Organizations. 13 January 2010. UN Photo/Sophia Paris.
The situation concerning the Democratic Republic of the Congo
Monday, May 6th 2013
The Security Council is meeting this morning in its 6960th meeting, to discuss the situation concerning the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- What’s in blue: insights on the work of the Security Council on the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- Security Council Report: Monthly forecast, Democratic Republic of the Congo - May 2013
Photo: Security Council Meeting on the situation in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. 19 October 2012. UN Photo/Eskinder Debebe
Security Council Meeting on Situation in Côte d’Ivoire
Tuesday, 16 April 2013
The Security Council is meeting this morning, at its 6947th meeting, to discuss the situation in Côte d’Ivoire and the Special Report of the Secretary-General on the United Nations Operations in Côte d’Ivoire (S/2012/196).
The present report is submitted pursuant to paragraph 22 of Security Council resolution 2062 (2012), by which the Security Council requested an assessment of the situation in Côte d’Ivoire and for a special report to be provided with recommendations on benchmarks to measure and track progress towards the achievement of long-term stability in Côte d’Ivoire; recommendations on possible adjustments in the structure and strength of the United Nations Operation in Côte d’Ivoire (UNOCI); options to reinforce inter-mission cooperation arrangements between UNOCI and the United Nations Mission in Liberia (UNMIL); and an update on the implementation of the UNOCI protection of civilians strategy.
- Reports of the Secretary-General
- Security Council meeting records
- Security Council resolutions
- Security Council Presidential Statements
- United Nations Operation in Côte d’Ivoire (UNOCI)
- UN Member States on the Record: Côte d’Ivoire
Photo: UN Mission in Côte d’Ivoire Celebrates Peace Day . 221 September 2010 . UN Photo/Basile Zoma.
Security Council Meeting on Peace and Security in Africa
Monday, 15 April 2013
The Security Council will have its 6946th meeting on peace and security in Africa this morning. They will discuss the letter dated 2 April 2013 from the Permanent Representative of Rwanda to the United Nations addressed to the Secretary-General (S/2013/204).
- Reports of the Secretary-General
- Security Council resolutions/draft resolutions
- Resolutions, Presidential Statements and Meeting Records
- Security Council - UN Documentation Research Guide
- What’s in Blue? Meeting on Prevention of Conflicts in Africa
- Security Council Report: Issues related to Africa
Photo: Eugène-Richard Gasana (centre), Permanent Representative of Rwanda to the United Nations and the President of the Security Council for the month of April.(2 April 2013, UN Photo/Eskinder Debebe).
Security Council meeting taking place today
March 22th, 2013
Today, the 6939th meeting - Interim Security Council Chamber takes place at 10:00am.
The meeting will discussing Discussing Security Council resolutions 1160 (1998), 1199 (1998), 1203 (1998), 1239 (1999) and 1244 (1999) and the Report of the Secretary-General on the United Nations Interim Administration Mission in Kosovo (S/2013/72).
A senior United Nations envoy warned today that ongoing tensions and incidents on the ground must not be allowed to jeopardize the political talks between Serbia and Kosovo which have resulted in important positive developments and must be permitted to achieve their potential.
- Ongoing tensions must not be allowed to derail Serbia-Kosovo talks, says UN envoy
- Ban stresses importance of successful outcome to Serbia-Kosovo dialogue
- Report of the Secretary-General on the United Nations Interim Administration Mission in Kosovo (S/2013/72).
- Security Council resolution 1160 (1998) [on the imposition of an arms embargo against Yugoslavia]
- Security Council resolution 1199 (1998) [on the situation in Kosovo, Yugoslavia]
- Security Council resolution 1203 (1998) [on agreements for the verification of compliance with the provisions of resolution 1199 (1998) on the situation in Kosovo, Yugoslavia]
- Security Council resolution 1239 (1999) [on relief assistance to Kosovo refugees and internally displaced persons in Kosovo, the Republic of Montenegro and other parts of Yugoslavia]
- Security Council resolution 1244 (1999) [on the deployment of international civil and security presences in Kosovo]
Security Council meetings regarding the situation in Afghanistan
March 19, 2013
United Nations Security Council had their 6935th meeting at 10AM today to discuss the situation in Afganistan, and the Report of the Secretary-General on the situation in Afghanistan and its implications for international peace and security (S/2013/133).
The Security Council today extended the mandate of the United Nations mission in Afghanistan for another year, after Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and other speakers urged continued UN support to the Government as it assumes full responsibility in most areas by 2014.
Security Council Meeting Today: Peace & Security in Africa
The Security Council convenes today at 9:30am to discuss Peace and Security in Africa. There will be a focus on the continuing problems North Africa, such as humanitarian issues, development, peace & security, human rights and governance, ”The Sahel Region: Towards a more comprehensive and coordinated approach”.
The letter from the Permanent Representative of Morocco, dated 5 December 2012, to the United Nations addressed to the Secretary-General (S/2012/906) will also be discussed, where Morocco’s Foreign Minister Saad-Eddine Al Othmani will preside over the high-level public meeting. It is expected that there will be public statements made from prominent regional organisations; the African Union, the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), the European Union, the Arab Maghreb Union and the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation. It was expected that Council members negotiated a presidential statement under silence procedure, with the aim of adopting it today.
Related UN Resources:
- 17th Sept 2012- the last SC Briefing on the Sahel
- Statements from the UN Secretary General on the Sudano-Sahelian Region
- 29th Nov 2012- Secretary General’s Report on Mali/Wider Sahel
- Situation in Mali: SC Resolutions
- Situation in Mali: Statements by the President of the SC
- Situation in Mali: Meeting Records
- Situation in Mali: Statements from the Secretary General
Other Related Sources:
- What’s in Blue: High Level Sahel Meeting
Security Council - Sudan and South Sudan
The Security Council is currently in consultation (10am), discussing the situation in Sudan/South Sudan and the Secretary General’s latest report (S/2012/890) on the United Nations Interim Security Force for Abyei (UNISFA). The Assistant Secretary General for Peacekeeping Operations, Edmond Mulet, is scheduled to brief the Security Council on the current situation on both of these issues.
Thursday, 6 December2012
UN Resources on Sudan & South Sudan
- Secretary-General reports
- Security Council resolutions
- Meeting records
- Letters from the SG to the Security Council
- UN Mission in Sudan (UNMIS)
- UN Mission in the Republic of South Sudan (UNMISS)
- United Nations Interim Security Force for Abyei
- What’s in Blue Insights on Sudan/South Sudan
*Photo - UN Peacekeepers on Patrol in Abyei (May 2011) UN Photo/Eskinder Debebe
Peaceful Settlement and the Question of Palestine - Report of the Secretary General
The present report is submitted in accordance with General Assembly resolution 66/17 and covers the time period from September 2011 to August 2012. It contains replies received from the parties concerned to the notes verbales sent by the Secretary-General pursuant to the request contained in paragraph 25 of the resolution. The report also contains the observations of the Secretary General on the current state of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and on international efforts to move the peace process forward with a view to achieving a peaceful settlement.
The Report’s closing statement, from Ban Ki-Moon, reads as follows:
“As Secretary-General, I will continue to ensure that the United Nations works towards the establishment of an independent, democratic, contiguous and viable Palestinian State living side by side in peace with a secure Israel in the framework of a comprehensive regional settlement consistent with Security Council resolutions 242 (1967), 338 (1973), 1397 (2002), 1515 (2003) and 1860 (2009), and in accordance with the Quartet road map, the Arab Peace Initiative and the principle of land for peace”.
Women, Peace and Security
Following this morning’s meeting on Sierra Leone, the Security Council will meet to discuss the latest report from the Secretary General on Women and Peace and Security (S/2012/732), and the Permanent UN Representative of Guatemala’s letter dated October 2nd (S/2012/774).
- Security Council Resolutions
- Security Council Meeting Records
- Statements by the President of the Security Council
- Reports from the UN Secretary General
Additional UN Resources:
- UNWomen’s Annual Report 2011-2012
- UNite - to End Violence Against Women
- UN Peace Building Support Strategy 2012-2013
Election of five non-permanent members of the Security Council
Thursday, 18 October
The General Assembly is meeting this morning hold elections, by secret ballot, for five non-permanent Council seats for the 2013-2014 term.These include one seat for the African Group, currently held by South Africa; one seat for the Asia-Pacific Group, currently held by India; one seat for the Group of Latin American and Caribbean States (GRULAC), currently held by Colombia; and two seats for the Western European and Others Group (WEOG), currently held by Germany and Portugal.
A list of meeting records from 1946- Symbols only
Meeting Records on the election of members to the Security Council
Resolutions/Decisions on the election of members to the Security Council
Non UN Resources
What’s in Blue: Security Council Elections 2012
Security Council Report: Security Council Elections 2012
Photo: General Assembly Elects Five Non-Permanent Members of Security Council, 2009. UN Photo/Paulo Filgueiras.
Security Council reports released
The Security Council issued two reports today, transmitted as letters from the Chair of the Security Council Committee pursuant to resolutions 1267 (1999) and 1989 (2011) concerning Al-Qaida and associated individuals and entities to the President of the Security Council.
This report looks at two key issues facing the Security Council Committee
pursuant to resolutions 1267 (1999) and 1989 (2011) concerning Al-Qaida and
associated individuals and entities. The first is how the sanctions regime should
adapt to the change in the threat to international peace and security posed by
Al-Qaida and its associates, and the second is how the Committee can best turn its attention from due process challenges and other procedural matters towards
improved implementation of the measures.
The second document (S/2012/730) presents its position on the recommendations contained in the twelfth report of the Analytical Support and Sanctions Monitoring Team established pursuant to resolution 1526 (2004).
Since December 2005, the Committee has established the practice of
responding to each of the reports submitted to it by the Monitoring Team and
bringing to the attention of the Security Council the Committee’s position on the
recommendations contained in the reports.
Reports of the Analytical Support and Sanctions Monitoring Team
Resolutions of the Analytical Support and Sanctions Monitoring Team
Non UN Resources:
What’s in Blue: Counter-Terrorism
UN Photo/Mark Garten: Council Adopts Statement on Death of Terrorist Leader Osama Bin Laden, Photo # 471832, 02 May 2011.
Security Council closed meeting on children and armed conflict
Friday, 5 October 2012
The Security Council Working Group on Children and Armed Conflict is holding a closed meeting this afternoon.
The current report on the activities of the Security Council Working Group on Children and Armed Conflict was established pursuant to resolution 1612 (2005) and covers the period 1 July 2011 to 30 June 2012.
- Security Council meetings
- General Assembly meetings
- Reports of the Secretary General
- Committee on the Rights of the Child meetings
- Committee on the Rights of the Child Reports
- Children and Armed Conflict’s website
Non UN Resources:
* Photo: UN Photo/Rick Bajornas. Security Council Discusses Children and Armed Conflict, 12 July 2011 Photo # 479288.
Security Council meeting on Mali
Thursday, 4 October 2012
The Security Council is meeting this afternoon at 15:00 in a closed consultation meeting on Mali.
Reports and Letters on the situation in Mali
Resolutions including drafts) on the situation in Mali
Non UN Resources:
*Photo - Security Council Considers Situation in Mali (August 2012) UN Photo/Eskinder Debebe