Trends in Maternal Mortality
“I am very pleased to see that the number of women dying in pregnancy and childbirth continues to decline. This shows that the enhanced effort of countries, supported by UNFPA and other development partners, is paying off. But we can’t stop here. Our work must continue to make every pregnancy wanted and every childbirth safe.”
Dr. Babatunde Osotimehin, Executive Director of UNFPA
Released by the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), Trends in Maternal Mortality: 1990 to 2010 confirms that the number of women dying in pregnancy and childbirth is declining. From 1990 to 2010, the annual number of maternal deaths dropped from more than 543,000 to 287,000 – a decline of 47 per cent.
The report also highlights:
- In 2010, the global maternal mortality ratio was 210 maternal deaths per 100,000 live births. Sub-Saharan Africa had the highest maternal mortality ratio at 500 maternal deaths per 100,000 live births.
- In sub-Saharan Africa, a woman faces a 1 in 39 lifetime risk of dying due to pregnancy or childbirth-related complications. In South-eastern Asia the risk is 1 in 290 and in developed countries, it is 1 in 3,800.
- Ten countries have 60 per cent of the global maternal deaths: India (56,000), Nigeria (40,000), Democratic Republic of the Congo (15,000), Pakistan (12,000), Sudan (10,000), Indonesia (9,600), Ethiopia (9,000), United Republic of Tanzania (8,500), Bangladesh (7,200) and Afghanistan (6,400).
- Ten countries have already reached the MDG target of a 75 per cent reduction in maternal death: Belarus, Bhutan, Equatorial Guinea, Estonia, Iran, Lithuania, Maldives, Nepal, Romania and Viet Nam.
- Millennium Development Goal 5 : Improve maternal health
- UNFPA Trends in Maternal Mortality: 1990-2008
- UNFPA Maternal Mortality in 1995 - 2002 - 2004 - 2005 - 2006
- UNFPA publications on safe motherhood
- World Health Organization publications on maternal health and new born health
- UN reports on maternal mortality
9 Notes/ Hide
- mhcghana likes this
- ucsdhealthsciences likes this
- pubhealth reblogged this from larkincallaghan
- reprohealthdaily reblogged this from larkincallaghan
- larkincallaghan reblogged this from un-library
- lovefreeasia likes this
- projectmaternity reblogged this from un-library
- milburberry-for-sale likes this
- baveshmoorthy reblogged this from un-library
- mdtepsic likes this
- galoor likes this
- un-library posted this